Monday, June 15, 2009

Washington D.C. Interns et. al

So, shady is the nicest way for me to describe my whereabouts in D.C. for the time being. I'm still looking for a place to stay and until then my brother suggested I get some mace to carry around? Really, must it come to that?

Saturday, I went apartment (room) shopping. Some prospects, but nothing to report except for the fact that some dude wanted to lease his room for $1400 and made it sound like he was doing me a favor, while at another house the 'housemates' asked me questions like "Do you like 2 Pac, Do you eat meat, do you like sports? What the hell does any of this have to do with me renting a room from you people? and yes to all.

After 6 miles, blistered feet and borderline exhaustion/frustration/starvation I went to the Jazz Festival on the national mall. What a freakin cure all. All I needed was a beer and I would have been in heaven. This girl I met on the metro (interning at Dept. of Homeland Security) joined me and we had a splendid time, then went to Oyamel's for some Spanish tapas. A thank you lady who works at the Mexican embassy and recommended it-Touche. We sat at the bar, chatted up the chef and got some sweet little tuna ceviche appetizzle for it.

Sunday went to church, tried to learn the bus system (watched my first live drug deal at the bus stop) went to whole foods, saw my first ever black squirrel (apparently they're mean little suckers) and went to dinner at my friend Paul's house. Sidenote, Paul and his dad and bro went golfing and OBama was there golfing-I asked Paul to run over there and give the Pres a hug for me, no such luck. :(

Day one of internship can best be described with my favorite A words- Awkward and Awesome. Awkward, because I feel as though everyone's gotta take a punch in the gut for their humiliation to kick in and and 'intern status' which I thought would be different when you're a graduate intern, is just perfect for pride. The weird shit of 'Do I introduce myself, do I not' and every other self conscious thought came right back up like a nasty egg salad sandwich does in your throat. Saving grace of the day, awesome event the Global Health Council put on concerning the W.H.O.'s efforts to eradicate polio can be viewed later on in the week on http://www.globalhealth.org/.

I just read these great little blips about d.c. interns that my dear little Kitty Cat Blackburn Frazier sent me and they're glorious. Based on what most D.C. dwellers think about interns, I've decided to keep my title top secret with most. Besides, I think I blend in. But that's probably what all the interns think.

Enjoy

http://dcist.com/2008/05/28/how_not_to_be_t.php#more

http://www.politico.com/blogs/anneschroeder/0609/The_DC_Intern_site_oh_yeah.html

1 comment:

Leah said...

Silly billy I miss you!! And tell your friend Paul to give Obama a spanking for me.