Thursday, June 12, 2008

Language Bloopers

On day two, Mariam and I are walking on the streets of Port Said with Tisoney Hailpeace and I nicely try to tell Hailpeace, “If my clothing is not conservative enough, please let me know.” The Arabic word for clothing is libs. I accidentally added one more vowel to the word changed it from clothing into underwear. At that, Mariam busts out laughing and I’m confused. Then Mariam explains to me that I told a nun, if my underwear isn’t conservative enough please tell me. It’s fine, we all have slip ups. Some are Freudian and some are not. I still think the Egyptian Sunday School teacher (who is now a priest) with a heavy Arabic accent that tried to teach a lesson to 13 year olds about gentiles-which he unforgettably called genitals the whole lesson-wins on language trip ups.

2 comments:

Kelsi said...

ahahaha...thank you for that story

Unknown said...

I know you have changed their dictionary forever, you brought them joy and laughters